Control Room Operator
- Calgary, Alberta
- Renewable Energy
Job DescriptionAs Control Room Operator you will be responsible for Operations and data analysis of Wind and Solar projects across North America. You will ensure all projects in the company portfolio are operating to the highest level of production and accounting for any time loss due to weather.
- You will be the single point of contact for deployment and dispatch of transmission-connected generation facilities and associated equipment to ensure safe and efficient operations in compliance with regulatory and grid operator requirements.
- You will monitor real-time performance of the solar, wind, and hydro projects while optimizing safety, power generation and regulatory compliance by investigating alarms and remotely resetting wind turbines or other resettable turbines, generator, or system faults.
- You will monitor trends in facility performance, weather, and resource to proactively identify potential issues and notify facility operators of trend or fault issues to optimize staff and public safety, the environment, and power generation
- You will supporting safe operations of remote facilities by acting as a call-point and monitor for lone workers
- You will coordinate, facilitate, and track planned and forced outages to ensure a safe and effective de-energization or restoration process is maintained.
- Additionally you will use 3-Part type communication with field personnel, regional transmission organizations (RTOs), and independent system operators (ISOs) when communicating during all real-time activities.
- You will be responsible for documenting all operating events in accordance with procedures, ensuring management of change and inter-shift communication standards are always upheld.
- You will support the development, deployment, and continual improvement of standard and emergency operating procedures, as well as work instructions, and proactively participate in their continual improvement and enhancement where needed.
- You will operate and monitor SCADA systems and related analytics tools to ensure functionality and effective performance is maintained, reporting to field staff all irregularities in data, communications, or control capabilities.
- Electrical/Mechanical or Engineering Technology diploma or degree and/or equivalent operational experience; and
- May be required to be certified and qualified in the recognized work protection practices and NERC Operator certification where applicable.
- Experience working in power generation, transmission, or distribution industry with strong preference towards renewable power experience.
- Remote operations or related experience in control/dispatch-type environments is desirable.
- Experience working around high, medium, and low voltage equipment.
- Technical knowledge of renewable power generation operations, functionality, and design.
- Ability to read and interpret SLDs and other procedural manuals and schematics.
- Troubleshooting skills for electrical and communications systems.
- Ability to work a shift schedule that includes nights, weekends, and holiday's to work alone and independently in the ROC when on shift.
- Ability to travel occasionally within Canada and USA; and
- Ability to lift-up to 20 pounds.
- Work in downtown Calgary
- Hours of work are 4 - 10-hour day shifts, with the potential for extended work hours, and on-call, based on business needs. There will also be a training period for night shift.
- This position is safety sensitive - negative results of a pre-employment Urine Drug Screen and / or Breath Alcohol test is required.
- Only candidates who are legally permitted to work in Canada will be considered.